Importance of Anxiety Counselling
Anxiety problems exist since the origin of mankind. Ancient man got anxious due to various things for which he didn’t have a satisfactory explanation, like darkness, mysterious figures and incidents, frightening animals, natural disasters and many more. Even today, we get anxious of many things. Though most of us come out of it naturally, there are many others who undergo serious mental disorders due to anxiety. If anxiety is not treated on time, it can take a horrible form. For this, we should identify when to approach a counselor. Colleen Hurll, a professional psychotherapist and expert in counselling in Hills District, Sydney, shares facts about anxiety.
Significance of Anxiety Counselling
People often try anxiety treatments which are not well researched. These treatments include all types of strange tools, that people claim to be effective but are usually nothing more than a placebo.
Counselling is something different. It has received a remarkable amount of research, and its effectiveness has been proven in the scientific world.
How is Anxiety Defined?
To understand when we should approach an anxiety counselor, we should first know what anxiety actually is. Well, anxiety can be defined as a state of fear and uncertainty occurring due to the anticipation of an imagined or real situation that the individual thinks might be threatening.
For example, you are sitting in your room and see a honeybee flying outside the window; this makes you imagine that the bee would come in and bite you, and you sense a danger, because of which a troubled state of mind is created. This state and an urge to escape the danger are known as anxiety.
When do You Need Individual Counselling for Anxiety?
As mentioned earlier, most of us become anxious some or the other time in our daily lives; but we soon overcome the fear and act regularly. However, in some individuals this feeling of sensing danger goes on adding up and they cannot overcome it without a counselor’s help. Common symptoms of this are:
- Feelings of fear, panic and uneasiness
- Sleeping problems
- Shortness of breath
- Sweaty or cold hands and/or feet
- Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
- Dry mouth
- Heart palpitations
- Tense muscles
Benefits of Anxiety Counselling
Anxiety counselling is the most natural and holistic treatment for anxiety. It is based on the fact that unhealthy thoughts, beliefs and actions lie at the core of an anxious mind, which give rise to anxiety. In anxiety counselling, the underlying factors giving rise to anxiety are treated together with taking steps to fight the symptoms and thus the possibility of recurrence of those symptoms is eliminated.
An anxiety counselor can:
- Help you identify your condition, pertaining to your specific situation and not in a generalized way
- Help you witness your symptoms and thereby understand them
- Help you find out the underlying reasons for your anxiety
- Help you understand their origin and the process of their development
- Create a recovery plan keeping in mind your particular situation
- Offer you tools and teach you strategies to combat the fearful situation
- Offer support of every kind – question and answer, and emotional support
- Help you in evaluating your condition and improvement
- Identify potential hurdles in the recovery process and remove them
- Help your family members to understand the seriousness of your condition and provide them tips on how to help you during your recovery process
Counselling is the best and safest way to overcome anxiety. So, identify your symptoms and approach a counselor on time to avoid further complications.