Prevent Harmful Effects of Household Mold on Your Health
Household mold is surely unsightly, but it’s even more than that. If you have asthma or allergies (and even if you don’t), mold exposure can irritate your lungs, nose, throat, skin and eyes. We’ve asked experts from Liberty Extraction & Drying to tell us what can we do to combat mold problems, and take care of our home and our family.
First of all, it is not possible to get rid of all mold spores in your home no matter how hard you try. However, since they cannot grow without moisture, if you reduce the moisture in your house or apartment, you’ll eliminate or prevent mold growth. In case it’s already growing, it’s highly recommended to clean it up and fix the issue that cause dampness. Cleaning up the mold without fixing the problem isn’t really effective.
In the kitchen, whenever you’re cooking, cleaning or washing dishes, you should use exhaust fans to move moisture outside. If you spot moisture on windows and similar surfaces, it would be wise to turn off certain appliances. Make sure there are no leaks around sources of water, such as ice makers or kitchen sinks. If, however, you notice the leak, the repair is inevitable.
In bathrooms, instead of wall-to-wall carpeting, opt for an area rug that can be taken up and washed. If possible, leave a window open when showering. Whenever you’re using your bathroom, make sure the exhaust fan is turned on to remove the moisture to the outside. Try not to leave damp towels in laundry hamper or on the floor. Repair any leaks around tubs and basins.
In addition to people with asthma and allergies, many others might be very sensitive to the mold growth in the household: the elderly, children and infants, people with immune system compromised due to cancer, chemotherapy, HIV, liver disease, chronic lung disease etc. Yes, mold in your home can make you (more) sick if you don’t do your best to inhibits its growth.