Useful Tips for Writing Your Medical Fellowship Personal Statement
Why is medical fellowship personal statement so important? It is because it is the only element of your application which is not based on exam scores or opinions of other people about you. Therefore a lot of emphasis is given by the selection committees on personal statement. You have the total control over your personal statement. But these many reasons make the writing of fellowship personal statement difficult too.
You should address some basic questions in your personal statement. They are normally classified into three paragraphs addressing: 1) what made you interested in the medical field you have selected 2) what do you expect from a residency program and 3) what are your goals from the chosen field.
You are at liberty to add other points relevant to these three topics. However ensure that you discuss these three.
Some Points Useful to Get Started
- Take out your medical school application again. Many students find it helpful as a base for their residency personal statement, especially the starting and final paragraphs.
- Check if your school has a writing office which can assist you in writing your statement
- Make use of a theme to compose your essay. That will help combine all factors of your statement
- Write solid examples that relate to your life, experiences and goals
- Be brief. Avoid unnecessary words.
- Make it a point to start the essay with some attractive sentence like a story, a quote, a riddle or an anecdote.
- End your essay with an inference that connects to the starting of your statement and restates the whole theme.
- Get your statement assessed/commented by your departmental program director.
- They have seen innumerable essays and are most likely to best judge your work.
- Don’t hesitate to start from scratch if you find your previous essay ineffective.
- Don’t forget to write about your interests. Remember that the reader is looking for a positive write-up and not a negative one about the medical profession.
What You Should Avoid?
- Underestimating personal statement
- Underestimating the time and efforts used in creating the personal statement
- Lack of flow. The reader should not feel like getting no idea what you want to say. When they will read such an essay, they are most likely to stop reading further. Therefore after writing, get the feedback of at least three people. Revise your essay many times. And so, you cannot start writing it just one week before the due date. Start writing it well in advance.
With these tips in mind, write a beautiful personal statement which will increase your chances to enter the field you are so passionate about.
FellowshipPersonalStatement.com assists you to write your fellowship personal statement in a professional way so as to make you successful in achieving your goal.