Transdermal Patch Delivery Scoring Over Traditional Drug Administration Methods
You are familiar with the traditional drug delivery systems like pills, liquid syrups and injections. But now a new drug delivery system has arrived which is considered to be very effective and comfortable. This is transdermal patch delivery system. SuperHealthPatch.com offers a variety of transdermal patches: Creatine, Caffeine, Ginko Biloba, Omega-3, Glucosamine and B12 and their professional health experts want to share their knowledge here about the transdermal delivery system.
What is Transdermal Drug Delivery System?
Transdermal (Trans: through; Derma: Skin) delivery means patches that are applied to skin of patients. This is a non-invasive method of sending drug into the body, i.e. through the skin. The patch consists of the desired medication that permeates the skin. The drugs enter the body in a controlled way and so, its concentration level remains steady in the body giving the optimum desired results and preventing potential side effects that can occur due to over- or sub-therapeutic doses that can occur with traditional methods.
The patches can be placed on the skin for varying durations, from some hours to even seven days. This depends on the therapeutic indication. Patches have adhesives to remain secured to the skin.
How do Transdermal Patches Work?
Our skin is made of three layers – epidermis (outermost), dermis (middle) and hypodermis (innermost). All these layers are full of blood vessels and when transdermal patches are placed on the epidermis, the patient’s body heat activates the drugs in them and induces them to release slowly to pass through the skin in the blood vessels from where they are carried to the organs where they are needed.
Benefits over Traditional Drug Delivery
There are many benefits of transdermal drug delivery over the traditional systems. Some of them are:
- The drug reaches directly to the bloodstream instead of passing through digestive system and the metabolic activity of liver.
- Mediation is slow, constant and controlled instead of the large single dose given in traditional dosage system. Here the natural barrier characteristics of the skin are made use of and controlled yet constant permeation of the drug takes place.
- Drugs can avoid the acidic environment in the digestive system. Traditional pills, powders, liquids and capsules have to go through the breaking down due to the stomach acid which is bad not only for the drug but also for the body because it causes adverse effects. These side effects are avoided by the transdermal drug delivery.
- Patients need not undergo the pain of injections, fear of gulping pills, capsules and liquids, and bitter taste and foul smells of medications. So, transdermal patches are much more patient-compliant than the traditional methods are.
- Patients can apply the patch themselves, no need to go to doctor’s office to take a shot.
SuperHealthPatch.com is a leader in Transdermal Patch Technology. Their transdermal patches are FDA approved and made in the USA from premium quality ingredients using a proprietary process. You can get any kind of drugs including all medications and supplements, like vitamins, glucosamine, omega-3, gingko biloba and many others at SuperHealthPatch.com.